MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Microsoft Access

ODBC 4-byte UTF8 error and MS Access 2010
Posted by: Nert Skull
Date: September 23, 2012 02:43PM

I have Access 2010. I installed the ODBC driver (v5.2) and I am running MySQL on Ubuntu 11.10 with MySQL version 5.1.63.

I am able to connect to the database, and get the tables linked. I can input numeric data (integer).

But I can NOT input text data in fields. I get the following error

ODBC--insert on a linked table 'tBought' failed.
[MySQL][ODBC 5.2(w) Driver][mysqld-5.1.63-0ubuntu0.11.10.1]Server does not support 4-byte encoded UTF8 characters. (#0)

I have looked all over, and this is the best I can come up with. I may be totally wrong on some of this, but this is what I think I've discovered thus far.

Access 2010 uses 4-byte encoded UTF8, whereas MySQL 5.1 doesn't support that (3-byte only???). So changing the collation has done nothing for me.

I then installed MySQL 5.5 (an a different computer) and it works just fine. I can link the tables and everything gets entered.

So, is there a way to make the ODBC driver work with Access 2010 and MySQL 5.1? I have other databases that in my original 5.1 install, and I would like to avoid upgrading. Especially since 5.5 is considered "testing" in the repositories still.

I'm hoping there is a way to work around this problem and make the ODBC driver work. Any ideas?

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
ODBC 4-byte UTF8 error and MS Access 2010
September 23, 2012 02:43PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.