Writing and reading Unicode in ASP.net
Posted by: Richard Creer
Date: May 02, 2007 10:51AM

I need to read and write Unicode text data to a MySQL 4.1.19 database using ASP.net - not, I suggest, an unreasonable requirement in the global society of the 21st century.

My options seem to be to use Connector/net 5.0 or MyODBC 5.0. By its own admission MyODBC 3.51 does not support Unicode; MyOLEDB doesn't look useful but I could be wrong.

After extensive research and writing of test programs I have established the following -

Connector/net 5.0 does not write Unicode to a VARCHAR field, does read Unicode from VARCHAR, does not write Unicode to TEXT, does read Unicode from TEXT, SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID() works

MyODBC 3.51 does not write Unicode to a VARCHAR field, does not read Unicode from VARCHAR, does not write Unicode to TEXT, does not read Unicode from TEXT, SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID() works

MyODBC 5.0 does write Unicode to a VARCHAR field, does read Unicode from VARCHAR, does write Unicode to TEXT, does not read Unicode from TEXT (fails 65535), SELECT LAST_INSERT_ID() fails (65531)

So to summarise if you want to insert a record with data in a Unicode text field, get its record id, then read the text, you need to -

1. Insert and select last_insert_id() using Connector/net 5.0 or MyODBC 3.51

2. Update the text field using MyODBC 5.0

3. Select using Connector/net 5.0

Not a very satisfactory situation in my view so, please, somebody tell me I've got it all wrong and what I should be doing is...

Richard

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/2007 01:08PM by Richard Creer.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Writing and reading Unicode in ASP.net
May 02, 2007 10:51AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.