Re: Synchronisation of MySQL with C# and MS Access
Posted by: Occo Eric Nolf
Date: June 09, 2006 10:48AM

Alexander Barkov wrote:
> Can you give an example set of strings, which give
> different sorting order
> in MySQL and Access?

Not in detail, as I solved the problem with the 'blunt ax' method: I re-installed MySQL using UTF-8 and its general collation as default.
I didn't figure out the default character set and collating used by Microsoft Access, but as far I've seen there are now no longer any sorting differences between my MySQL databases and the Access versions.

I suspect the different sorting orders I mentioned in my previous posting occurred because my 1st attempt at building MySQL databases used the default MySQL character set and (Swedish) collating method.
The most obvious difference was the sort order of letters and underscores: in Access names starting with underscores appear first, but they appeared last in MySQL (to be precise: the strings '_A' and 'AA' are sorted in this order by Access, but in MySQL the order was reversed).

At the moment I don't have time to investigate in depth, but maybe this might be something to look at more closely.
If the standard MySQL (Swedish) collation causes significantly different sorting orders compared to Access, maybe it's not the best choice to convince Access users to change over ...

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Synchronisation of MySQL with C# and MS Access
June 09, 2006 10:48AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.