MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: Datebase upgrade for 5.5: can't get there from here?
Posted by: Jonathan Sachs
Date: November 03, 2011 08:04PM

>But, on the upside, the error log pointed exactly to the problem.

Well, no, not really! If you look at it through the eyes of a person who is not too familiar with MySQL administration, it looks quite different.

Here's how it looked to me.

Starting at the top of the list, "FEDERATED is disabled." Hm, that could be part of the problem or it could just be a piece of information. I've got a vague idea what "FEDERATED" means, and I don't think it has any business being enabled on my home computer, so I'll set this one aside and come back to it if necessary.

Next, "mysql.plugin doesn't exist" and "Can't open the mysql.plugin table, please run mysql_upgrade to create it." The second seems to describe the same thing as the first, and tells me how to fix it. I'd better find mysql_upgrade and run it.

I looked at the rest of the error messages, but not very hard. I was following SOP for debugging: when you get a long list of error messages, fix the first one, glance at the rest to see if you can cherry-pick some that are clearly unrelated, and try again. Most of the time some or even most of the others will turn out to have been caused by cascade effects, and will just go away.

So, when I saw "log file .\ib_logfile0 is of different size," I didn't even wonder what it meant. If I had researched it, of course, I would have realized that it was an independent problem, but that would have turned a ten-minute analysis into a project that lasted several hours. To a person who didn't already know what that message meant, there was nothing about it said "Fix ME!!!" To find out, I would have had to research _every_ message in the list, and 99 times out of 100 that's a waste of time.

Also, since I didn't KNOW that MySQL would simply regenerate this file if it was removed, the idea of deleting file would never have occurred to me. Fix the problem by deleting one of the files in the database directory??? That's crazy!

Sometimes it takes a fresh (i.e., ignorant) outlook to find problems like these.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.