MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: Datebase upgrade for 5.5: can't get there from here?
Posted by: Barry Galbraith
Date: November 04, 2011 05:54AM

Yes, I agree, it doesn't tell you much if you don't know what it is saying.
In a brand new installation, ib_logfile(s) don't exist. They are created when InnoDB engine first starts, so it can do what it does.
On a restart, InnoDB uses the logfiles to fix any half written data that wasn't written before the server stopped (usually a sudden stop!)
It checks that the ib_logfile(s) are the correct size before it does anything with them, then brings the tables up to scratch.

Your error log is written in the order that things happen

So, while your error log told you that Federated engine was disabled, that's OK, because you probably are using it anyway. The log continued, so that didn't stop mysql
plugin table can't found, and tells you how to fix it. The log continues, so that dind't stop mysql.

InnoDB ib_logfiles are the wrong size. The log continues.
InnoDB init function returned an error. The log continues.
InnoDB engine wasn't registered as a STORAGE engine. The log continues.
InnoDB is probably set as the default storage engine, so in light of the previous line(s), where there is no InnoDB. Braaaap. End of the section.

So, unwinding what happened. No InnoDB engine because it failed to register, because it failed to start, because the logfiles were the wrong size.

You could have fixed the size definition in my.ini to match the files, but it is far easier to return InnoDB to "brand new" and just delete the logfiles.

I suppose experience is a great teacher, with help from someone who has been there before.

Good luck with your MySQL.

Good luck,
Barry.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.