MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  MySQL Administrator

Re: Can't Schedule Backup in MySQL admin tool
Posted by: Peter Jennings
Date: September 14, 2009 03:18PM

I've been having exactly the same problem and it's taken me nearly a week to solve it, possibly slightly differently from the methods suggested above.

I wanted to take a daily backup of a remote database onto my home PC (XP Pro). Since I am the only user there is no password for my account. IMHO MySQL Administrator is not the most user friendly application. It surely gets the job done, but you have to repeatedly go back and perform operations that should have been done (if you knew in advance) in preparation for a scheduled backup.

For example, you get all the way to defining the backup before it tells you that you need a saved connection. Why not ask if you want to save the current one? Try again and it tells you that you need to have set obscured passwords. Get that right and it ask you what account you want to run it under and what that account's password is. Use an account that doesn't have a password, like mine, and whilst asking "do you want to continue?" it never points out that the scheduled task won't run without a password account.

However there is a way round this last problem that doesn't involve creating accounts or hacking the registry. Go into Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks and select the backup. Click on the Task tab and near the bottom there should be two check boxes. The lower one should already be ticked. Enable the "Run only if logged on" box, Apply and quit.

Now, so long as the backup is scheduled to run whilst the PC is switched on normally, the task will run in the background as scheduled.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Can't Schedule Backup in MySQL admin tool
September 14, 2009 03:18PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.