MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Newbie

Re: Migrating MySql from Debian to Windows
Posted by: Bill Jour
Date: June 06, 2014 02:53PM

Peter:

"The copy process he means is at operating system level. It will work if (i) the files are intact and (ii) all the data files are in that folder."

Well I am willing to try the easy MyISAM route first but I am not 100% certain what you mean by "at operating system level"....could you elaborate a little further? I couldn't find a my.cnf file on the drive that you mentioned.

"As you see, neither option is simple. Both require experience with Linux and MySQL management. If I had neither, I'd hire a local IT person with such knowledge."

The Church initially hired an outside company here in Canada to take a look and provide an estimate....they stated that the drive needed to be sent to a data recovery company in the USA and taken apart in a "clean room" to retrieve the files because the hard drive was unreadable and that the cost would be $6000.

I am a member of the church and asked the pastor if I could take a look. I connected it to a Windows machine, downloaded Ext2 Volume Manager and was able to mount the drive in Windows and read the files. Therefore, the Church doesn't have any more confidence in any "local IT person with such knowledge" because it is hard to find an honest person who isn't looking for a license to print money.

I am very computer literate even though I may tend to come across as being a dummy or newbie sometimes...that is done intentionally so that I don't appear as being arrogant and a know it all and turn people off...I have taught computer courses at the college level and there isn't too much I can't understand about computer programs such as MySQL or operating systems such as Linux if I can find the right person who can give easy to follow instructions.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: Migrating MySql from Debian to Windows
June 06, 2014 02:53PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.