MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Fix: Could not start the MySQL service: Error 1067
Posted by: John Martyn
Date: January 24, 2006 04:39PM

Now this solution I assume is only good for initial installs, not upgrades. You could try it, but at least this gives you some direction in where to look.

Now for whatever reason, you stopped the service and one thing led to another. Now you can't start it back up. No problem, just backtrack yourself.

Ok, some quick troubleshooting and I found a fix for all those with WINXP/NT systems installing the MySQL 5. During installation it wanted to start a database and do the root password, and make a service, remember? Well, it listed many different service instance names too. That's not going to matter as what you are going to do REMOVE all instances of the service.

Now go through the steps ONE more time in creating a service instance using all the same password and location info. You do this because you want at least one instance to start the service properly. If you run it after the next steps, you've gone and created another file and renamed the original. If for some reason, you changed the password in another instance, use the new password as the database will have changed to reflect that.

When you run the instance program, it WILL fail. This is supposed to happen.

Now we're going to do some file checking.

You also remember where you put the database at right?

x being your location.

x:\MySQL Datafiles is what it is called. It is mentioned in your install directory under:
innodb_data_home_dir="x:/MySQL Datafiles/"

You could go through the incredible heartache of reinstalling everything after wiping it all... oooooorrrrr you can go to your program install directory. Something usually like C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0
or a different drive if you're actually using the system as a web server. But for all the development people, that is where you most likely installed it.

Find the file that says my.ini
You might also be seeing other files like:
my 2006-01-22 2004.ini

Those are the replaced ini files after you tried to recreate instances. once the service wouldn't start. Open the others up in a text editor and look for where your database is installed. Usually the earliest dated copy is it. Remove the other files along with the regular my.ini file and rename my 2006-01-22 2004.ini (Could be named a different date) to my.ini You may also change the location of your database if that's what happened. The my.ini is simply a pointer.

Now once the old files are removed and you have the ini file you want re-named to my.ini, go into the services and manually start MYSQL. It should start.

Hope this helps.

-John

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
May 27, 2008 04:21AM
Fix: Could not start the MySQL service: Error 1067
January 24, 2006 04:39PM
January 01, 2008 11:48PM
May 17, 2008 09:16AM
January 31, 2008 04:17PM
A B
December 12, 2008 03:23AM
March 25, 2008 07:48PM
May 26, 2008 05:46AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.