MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Docs

Re: Lack of "real" example makes it very dificult to understand!
Posted by: Stefan Hinz
Date: August 06, 2004 04:22AM

I agree with you that the PHP documentation is very instructive, and that this is due to lots of what you call "real examples". But: You will probably notice, like I did, that when you're working with the PHP documentation, 90% of what you're reading is description of functions. It's easy to document functions, and give good examples for each function.
While MySQL has (SQL) functions, too, they make up for only 5% or so of what you would want to read. The rest is much more complex stuff (just two examples: SELECT/joins and MySQL configuration). If we'd go ahead and give "real examples" (which would take lots of space), we'd end up with a manual that was at least twice as big (and it's already huge). And we want to keep the MySQL manual what it is -- a reference manual, not an introductory book.
Last not least, I agree it's fairly easy to get started with PHP using nothing but the PHP documentation, if you have some programming background. At some point, however, you will want to read a couple of PHP books, to get more profound knowledge. With MySQL, it's probably more the other way around: You should read a couple of introductory books/tutorials first, and then read the MySQL manual to get more profound knowledge.

Stefan Hinz, MySQL Documentation, Berlin, Germany

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Views
Written By
Posted
Re: Lack of "real" example makes it very dificult to understand!
August 06, 2004 04:22AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.