MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: Error Nr. 1045 Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (Using password: NO)
Posted by: Baldeep Hira
Date: July 13, 2009 12:57PM

I encountered the same error Error Nr. 1045 when configuring MySQL version 5.1.36 on Windows using 'Instance Config Wizard'. The first time I installed and configured MySQL version 5.1.36 the installation went through fine but the config wizard failed at the last step. In my first attempt I had not disabled windows firewall so I guessed the problem was with firewall blocking port 3306. After that I re-installed and re-configured MySQL 3-4 times and kept getting this error. Of course in my subsequent attempts I had already disabled windows firewall and removed all data files from previous installation attempts.

Then I read the above post and tried using the value "password" for existing password field and it failed. But there was a version difference I'm using 5.1 and the above post mentioned 5.0 (not sure if the default password really changed from 5.0 to 5.1, perhaps my failure point was different from above user). After that it was a guessing game and I tried a blank password value for existing password and the configuration went through fine.

I'd say try the following steps if you running into this error:
1. Disabled windows firewall
2. Run the 'Config Wizard' again
3. Try the following values for existing password field:
(a) "password"
(b) <blank>
(c) "root"
(d) ...

Something like that should work.
Good Luck!

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
August 23, 2010 05:37AM
October 08, 2010 02:25PM
Re: Error Nr. 1045 Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (Using password: NO)
July 13, 2009 12:57PM
October 15, 2011 11:03PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.