MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
Posted by: John Speerin
Date: April 07, 2005 12:20PM

WOOT.....found a solution

SE linux makes it very hard for anything to work in Fedora Core 3.....(generalization)

When i was shutting the computer down i noticed that there was and error in removing the mysql.sock.....no permissions. I had monkeyed arround trying to find out what i need to give permissions too.....the i revisited my installation proceedure. I had origionally installed Fedora Core using Stanton-Finley notes. During the install it made a reference to turn off the protection for the httpd daemon. SO CLICK, the light bulb came on.

What you need to do is to go to terminal in root

/usr/sbin/setenforce 0
/etc/init.d/mysql start

This will force selinux off and start msql to get a mysql.sock started.

Go to Applications > System Settings > Security Level and type in your root pass word

Open the SELinux tab and under Modify SE linux policy
open SElinux service protection and click on Disable SELinux protection for mysqld daemon.

reboot your computer

Everything should work..... For some reason if the you dont disable the daemon the shut down proceedure WILL NOT be granted removal priveleges for the mysql.sock.......It will be there at start up and Mysql gets all confused at this and promptly shuts down........thats why i was getting the subject errors.....LOL

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
Re: ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)
April 07, 2005 12:20PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.