MySQL Forums
Forum List  »  Install & Repo

Re: ULTIMATE SOLUTION
Posted by: David Richardson
Date: June 05, 2009 08:59AM

I was successful starting MySQL service (YEA!) after lengthy frustration with Error 0. I want to thank the previous contributors for their efforts too. I used them all in my efforts, but I have absolutely NO IDEA which of the steps below were instrumental making it successful.

Given the frequency of the installation failures and wasted time (and hair loss) by so many people, I am quite surprised this bug has not been fixed yet. Uninstalls should be clean and complete. I hope this log of steps I took will help get the bug fixed and perhaps help others get their server up and running!

mysql installation notes
1) The PATH variable corupted during re installation attempts.
> Start
> System
> Advanced system settings (left panel on my machine)
> Environment Variables button
in the System Variables panel scroll to the PATH variable and click EDIT to view. It might be short or long but the syntax is ";c:\[folder name]\" My PATH variable is the following:
;C:\php5\;c:\Programs\;C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL_Server_5.1\bin

all on one line with no spaces between trailing \ and ;

NOTE: There should NOT be a ";" (semicolon) at the end of the PATH variable - like NOT ...bin; in the example above.

To me this is a serious bug with unknown consequences for other applications. I'd just edited my PATH and when going through the MySQL installs saw that it had been changed without me doing anything. Hmmmm.

2) Regedit deletions some noted were limited only to keys where MySQL is in the name. There were many more keys identified with a -> CTRL F search for MySQL but I left them alone not wanting to mess with the registry.

I had to locate the regedit.exe file through a file search because it was not in my administrative files. I copied and pasted it into "c:\Windows\System32\" folder.

3) I did a file search with MySQL. I ignored files in php and CS4 (Adobe) directories to locate directories where the mysql installation adds files:

c:\program files\mysql

and sub-directories and other locations depending on your particular installation procedure.

4) then with advanced search, I clicked the "hidden and system files" check box in the advanced search fields and found
c:\ProgramData directory MySql directory
c:\Users\David\AppData
c:\Windows\MYSQLD.EXE-119A320D.pf
c:\windows\MYSQLINSTANCECONFIG.EXE-9619F208.pf
c:\users\david\AppData\roaming\mysqladmin_options.xml
c:\users\david\AppData\roaming\mysqlx_common_options.xml
also
c:\users\david\AppData\Roaming\MySQL\

I deleted those files and folders.

I turned off the firewall (windows)

I executed "sc delete mysql"
> Start
> Run
> I changed directories to c:\Windows\system32 "cd c:\Windows\System32\" and hit enter
From the command prompt enter "sc delete mysql" (without quotes) and got "error" ..."FAILED 1060: The specified service does not exist as an installed service." (which means the MySQL service was never installed.)

You will get a different message if an instance WAS created and the "sc delete mysql" command is successful.

I did the
> Start
> Control Panel
> Administrative tools
> Services
and checked the MySQL was not present. It wasn't.

I did the
> Start
> Control Panel
> Programs and Features
I found MySQL Server 5.1 and right clicked to uninstall

I did not delete files associated with PHP or Adobe (help files) or cayenne files

I deleted all the MySQL files. I deleted the folders that appeared in any way connected with the installation (by looking at the date the files were created.)

NOTE: Some have had problems deleting folders with a Windows error "access denied" or some such thing. I have found deleting the files in the lowest directory ([Ctrl a] and [Delete]) and THEN deleting the folder will work. I then work my way up the directory tree the same way. I guess this is some sort of "safety system" MS created to prevent idiots from deleting something they are not supposed to. Thats just speculation on my part.

I also had IIS installed but didn't need it so I stopped this service. I want to use Apache to match my remote server environment.
> start
> Control Panel
> Administrative Services
> Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager

on my system on the right panel at the top there is "Manage Server" with some icon buttons. I clicked "Stop" and closed the window. This is just to reduce the number of possible machine conflicts but don' know if it was necessary.

I also stopped the Apache server during the MySQL installation.

I rebooted

I am installing mysql-5.1.34-win32.msi on a VISTA machine

I changed the server file location in the "Custom Setup". The instruction screen is poorly worded if you "want the change installation directory" guiding the user to "go back" and "cancel" (WTF???) instead of go into "custom installation".

The Server location and Server Datafiles location name I used added underscores. ("MySQL_Server_5.1" instead of "MySQL Server 5.1" (I added underscores to replace spaces), directory name and data file locations (just because SOME people had success with this approach).

I changed the "Service Name" in the instance configuration Wizard to MySQL51 just to make it different from previous installations.

I checked the box to include the BIN Directory in the PATH variable.

> Next>

NOTE: In the next Window, the Modify Security Settings has TWO text boxes for the root password. Previous installations had THREE text boxes asking for the CURRENT password and then the NEW password and "retype" password.

The bug in the installation process could be that the old password is stored somewhere on the computer and is not accessible when deleting files from previous installations. During the re installation, the old password causes the server start up to fail causing the ERROR 0 that everyone is complaining about.

Again, I was successful starting MySQL service (YEA!) after lengthy frustration with Error 0. I stand on the shoulders of previous contributors for their efforts too. I used all their suggestions in my efforts, but I have absolutely NO IDEA which of the steps were instrumental making it successful. Good luck. Every machine and configuration is different.

That said, I haven't tried to connect through PHP yet. that will be a different story.

Options: ReplyQuote

Subject
Written By
Posted
March 26, 2009 06:32PM
April 28, 2009 09:16AM
Re: ULTIMATE SOLUTION
June 05, 2009 08:59AM
January 19, 2005 09:57AM
August 16, 2007 10:20AM
August 19, 2007 08:57PM
December 05, 2008 10:07PM
April 26, 2009 05:29PM
August 15, 2009 07:47AM
August 30, 2008 11:22AM
my
November 18, 2004 05:24PM
February 27, 2005 01:55PM
July 01, 2009 05:46AM
July 01, 2009 03:41PM
July 01, 2009 05:08PM
July 01, 2009 11:52PM
July 09, 2009 02:07AM
July 21, 2009 10:49PM
C S
September 04, 2009 09:09AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Content reproduced on this site is the property of the respective copyright holders. It is not reviewed in advance by Oracle and does not necessarily represent the opinion of Oracle or any other party.